I know I'm a couple of days late...it's been a crazy week around here! We do have a couple of new bloomers to talk about this week though - borage and nasturtium!
- Borage - I don't eat it or make tinctures out of it, I just grow it for the bright blue star shaped flowers. They are gorgeous! It's funny that I don't really like blue unless it's in a flower, then I'm sold. I'll have to get Mr. Photographer to take some pictures of it so you can see it. If you are so inclined, you can eat the blossoms. They are supposed to taste like cucumbers but I think they just taste like flowers! Cucumbers are more of a textural thing for me - crunch - and borage flowers are more like baby lettuce - tender.
- Nasturtium - You can also eat these pretty blossoms, but I don't like them one bit! If you like spicy, peppery things like radishes (which I don't) you might think they are tasty. I don't like the smell of their "juice" when you pick them either. So why do I grow them...because nothing else has a blossom that looks like a nasturtium - they are tropical and bright and oh-so-lovely in the garden. Bugs don't like to eat them, at least not my bugs, so I plant them around my veggies. They come in lots of colors and range in size from short bushy window bow varieties to 5 or 6 foot long trailing vines. These are also great for kids to plant because the seeds are about the size of a garbanzo bean.
- Miniature Hollyhocks
- Knautia
- Lemon Mint
- Bee Balm
- Sunflowers
- Hollyhocks
- Four-O-Clocks
- Cupid's Dart
- Cilantro and Dill
- Zauchenaria (Hummingbird Carpet)
- Echinops
- Miss Wilmott Potentilla
- Blue Ensign Convolvulus
- Hen and Chicks
- Perennial Black-eyed Susan
- Daylilies
- Zebrina
- Lambs Ears
- Purple Coneflower
- Snap Dragon
- Evening Primrose
- Mexican Hat
- Annual Coneflower
- Coreopsis
- Nicotiana
- Wine cups
- Oregano
- Lavendar
- Fever Few
- Chicory
- Calendula
- Bachelor Buttons
- Yellow Primrose (Sundrops)
- Indian Blanket Flower
- Yarrow (red, yellow, and orange)
1 comment:
I have squash blooming and that is probably the only bright "tropical" flower I am going to get at 8,500ft. I would definitely eat the nasturtiums since we have been enjoying spicy mesclun salad greens all summer.
Post a Comment