Friday, March 27, 2009

The Onions Have Arrived!

The Candy onion plants I ordered arrived today! Too bad there is still snow on my garden and more forecasted for next week. They are going to have to hang out in the basement for a few days. Hopefully the snow will melt off soon so I can prepare their spot and get them in the ground.

Onions don't mind cold weather, they are actually biennials and will flower the second year if you leave them in the ground like I did. The bulbs that were too tiny to be useful (like only an inch in diameter- I should have thinned!) were left in the garden last fall. You know how I like an experiment! I went out this afternoon to see if I could find them and they had new tops 2-3 inches tall poking up through the snow! It was also only 8 degrees here this morning and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they looked just fine.

Onions are easy to grow. So are their relatives - shallots, garlic, leek, and chives. If you've never grown them before, plant a few and see how it goes. I liked being able to run out to the garden and pull up some green onions or snip a few chives. Plus sweet onions, shallots, and leek are pretty expensive at the store, but the ones in your garden are not!

Here's a link to the USU Extension publication about onions if you'd like some more info: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_2004-03.pdf

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are getting our garden ready to plant, too. I'm hoping we can actually harvest some stuff this year and not have to buy so much at the store.

Rob and Amy said...

Where is the best place to get onion starts? I'd love to do some sweet onion and shallots - I put onions in almost everything I make!! And they seem idiot-proof, a quality that I value in my plants. Are you coming to the farm next week?

DeShawn Marie said...

Camille, you are the winner of my Jasmine Jubilee soap. Please get back to me with your address so i can mail it to you :)
Thanks, DeShawn

Polka Dots and Posies said...

I'm planning to come up. It's still a week off so hopefully your kids are better :) I'm glad you're feeling better, too. Thanks for the seed info!!