Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What's Blooming in My Garden - June 16

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words (and is usually more interesting anyway). Since it finally stopped raining, I got out the camera so you could catch a glimpse of what my rather overwatered drought tolerant garden looks like this week.

Poppies, Walker's Low Catmint, Dame's Rocket, Columbine, Chives, Rocky Mountain Penstemon, Soapwort, Blue Flax, Iris, Moonshine Yarrow, and Pink Primrose.

This is the rather intense color combination I mentioned...but I've had lots of compliments on the purple and red-orange palette. If nothing else, it certainly gets attention! Dame's Rocket, Poppies, Rhubarb, and Iris.

I'm really happy with this little nook. Iris, Dame's Rocket, Poppy, Dianthus, Soapwort, Yellow Sundrops, May Night Salvia, and the soft green mound in the middle is Artemesia. (Yes, that's sagebrush, but this is a finer textured variety.)

This is Salvia 'Evaline'. It's finished blooming now - the rain and hail beat off all of the flowers. I'm hoping that it will rebloom if I cut it back because it was so beautiful!

And this is a close up of Dame's Rocket. The Swallowtails love it and so do I!

This is a Japanese Iris...finer in texture and form than the usual bearded irises.

Scabiosa or Pincushion flower. I think that the buds are almost as pretty as the blossoms.

Pink Primrose. This spreading beauty has formed a nice, dense mat of flowers. It looks delicate, but it's a really tough plant.


This is the peach poppy that I am planning to propagate. The flowers are almost six inches across and the petals are more ruffled than those on my reddish poppies. The bees actually climb inside and roll around in the pollen.

Mystery Dianthus - It has crossed and with other dianthus plants, but I sure love this color!

Columbine. This one was sheltered on the east side of the house...most of the others took a real beating during the storms.

Gallardia or Indian Blanket Flower. If I could only have one summer blooming flower, I'd probably choose this one. It blooms non-stop from now until fall, has very showy seedheads, and takes care of itself. Plus it's just about the most cheerful flower in the garden!


Silver Sage. I planted this biennial for it's large silver gray leaves...but the other plants overran them. However, the flower stalk is about 3 feet tall and I like the interesting whorled arrangement. Up close, the flowers also have tiny purple specks on them.


Soapwort. Whoa baby! This perennial spreader is spreading like crazy! It's grown over the top of a few less vigorous plants. Oh well. My garden is all about survival of the fittest!

Blue Flax. These bright blue flowers pack a lot of punch, even though they only last a day (or less if it is hot and sunny). By evening the ground beneath them is covered with blue petals.

Centaurea. This is basically a perennial bachelor button. The plants are very vigorous and stand two and half to three feet tall. The leaves give me a rash, so I only mess with this one while wearing long sleeves.

Rocky Mountain Penstemon. If there ever was a bumblebee magnet, this would be it! I have never seen so many bumblebees in my life! I started these plants from seed and they are very happy in my garden. I'm so glad! I love penstemon but many are just plain hard to grow.

Miss Wendy and the red poppies. She was helping me take the pictures.

Paprika Yarrow (and a very tiny little grasshopper.) Isn't that a great color?


Bachelor Button. This is an annual that should reseed itself. Out of all the pictures I posted on here today, this one is my favorite.

And the list of what's blooming, in case you're keeping track!

  • Garden Peas
  • Japanese Iris
  • Raspberries
  • Calendula
  • Bachelor Buttons
  • Centaurea
  • Yellow Primrose (Sundrops)
  • Indian Blanket Flower
  • Yarrow in many colors.
  • Rocky Mountain Penstemon
  • Dianthus
  • Lady's Mantle
  • Wild Roses
  • Primrose
  • Sage
  • Salvia
  • Oriental Poppy
  • Yellow Iceplant
  • Iris
  • Dame's Rocket
  • Columbine
  • 'Walker's Low' Catmint
  • Red Twig Dogwood
  • Snowball Bush Viburnum
  • Soapwort
  • Chives
  • Strawberries
  • Blue Flax
  • Lamium

5 comments:

Ginger said...

Simply beautiful!

Kelli said...

I didn't know you were such a great photographer! I especially like the swallowtail butterfly photo.

Julie said...

Wow!! Great photos!! I was going to bring you over some of my borage-- um, but...I'm still out of town, so seriously-- go and get some out of my garden if you like. It is in the gated garden in the center circle mixed in with strawberries and I am sure lots of lovely weeds by now. It has such pretty blue flowers. I am going to just throw it all out except for maybe a plant or two because it gets so huge-- so please feel free go take some if you would like. Hope to see you soon!!

Julie said...

I forgot to mention how relaxing it was to look at the pictures of those beautiful flowers. You are quite the fotog!!

Camille said...

I did take most of the pictures...Jake's been trying to teach me how to be a better photographer. But I must admit...the one with the butterfly and a couple of the others are his! He understands about apiture (spelling?) and f-stops and such...I am more of a point and shot girl. I just take pictures using whatever settings he left it on!