Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fall is Coming to Our Garden - September 8

Wow! It feels like fall this morning and I'm so glad. As much as I enjoy summer, I'm ready for the cooler weather and slower pace. I like all of the seasons, but autumn is my favorite. I love the satisfaction, the fresh peaches, the harvesting and canning, the rich colors. I even appreciate the finality of the first hard frost. Hopefully we've still got a few weeks until then, but you never know for sure.

The apples are starting to ripen and the fall raspberries are coming on. The corn is almost gone. I've dried most of my onions and herbs. A few leaves on our sumac bushes are starting to change color. I finally had to sleep under a blanket.

It's time to start cleaning out the garden- cutting back, pulling out, mulching. Jake teases me that for one small woman, I sure make a lot of green waste for him to haul away. He's right. I do. But it's beautiful. And he's a good sport about it.

The only new bloomer in my garden this week is Autumn Joy Sedum. The pinkish flowers last for a long time, and the seedheads are good for some winter interest. It's pretty, but not something I couldn't live without. It reminds me of my Grandma Roberts though, and it is nice to have something so fleshy coming into bloom so late in the season.
  • Overdam Feather Reed Grass
  • Asters
  • Scabiosa
  • Russian Sage
  • Borage
  • Lemon Mint
  • Sunflowers
  • Four-O-Clocks
  • Zauchenaria (Hummingbird Carpet)
  • Blue Ensign Convolvulus
  • Chamomile (reblooming!)
  • Perennial Black-eyed Susan
  • Snap Dragon
  • Bachelor Buttons
  • Nasturtium
  • Fever Few
  • Calendula
  • Yellow Primrose (Sundrops)

No comments: