Today I started planting. I don't usually start planting this early, but I've never tried growing artichokes before. I read that you need to grow them indoors for 8 weeks to get starts large enough to transplant. Then, because artichokes are perennials, they need to be exposed to cool weather for a while (but not get frozen) to trick the plants into believing that they've experienced winter. If you skip this step, they won't flower and you won't have any artichokes to eat.
By planting now, I'll have 8 week old transplants in mid to late April. I'm planning to set them out in wall-o-waters so they can experience 4-6 weeks of cold weather before things warm up in June.
The variety I've chosen to plant is Imperial Star. It's a hybrid that it supposed to be well suited to growing as an annual and should mature about 95 days from transplanting. If all goes well, I'll be harvesting artichokes in August!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Can't wait to see how your artichokes come out!! Where did you order your seeds?
Post a Comment