Friday, January 16, 2009

Asparagus

Ideally, everyone would have access to several asparagus patches growing along a ditchbank, within walking distance from home. I have many memories of picking asparagus with my mom. I've always loved to go on walks with her; the asparagus was just an added bonus when we got home.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case for most of us. Some don't live where there are open irrigation ditches and those who do may have noticed stunted, distorted asparagus plants. Herbicide usage is rough on asparagus patches, and who wants to eat 2,4-D or RoundUp anyway? If you have access to a good wild patch, count your blessings! If not, try growing your own in your garden.

I planted a few asparagus crowns two years ago. This spring, if all goes well, I'll be able to harvest my first spears, but only a few. Next year, I should be able to harvest as much as I'd like. Unlike most vegetables, asparagus requires a lot of patience!

The variety I planted is Purple Passion. The spears are a deep burgundy color when they are young, green when they are tall and bushy. It is supposed to be very vigorous, sweeter, and more tender than green asparagus. The catalog insists that it has a mild, nutty flavor...I'll have to let you know after I actually harvest some!

Also, a side note here, if you haven't ever tried roasted asparagus you are really missing out! I'll have to post the recipe. It's delicious!

A huge link to a nice picture: http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=48002&cid=ppp000001

No comments: