Saturday, January 10, 2009

Spinning

Thursday night I attended my first beginning spinning class at the rec center. Kelli invited me to go, which was good because I doubt I ever would have just gone on my own. I was a little nervous, but figured it should be much less embarrassing than aerobics. I can, after all ride a bike. Dancing around? Not so much.

So it turns out that the regular instructor was gone, and the substitute was the lady who teaches the endurance spinning class. Wow - she is a well-sculpted woman! And excited! As soon as she started talking I thought, "Hey, this is going to be fun!"

Well, we spun and spun and spun. Faster. More resistance. Stand up. More resistance. Lean back. More resistance. All out. I was sure glad that I started out with zero resistance! By the cool down I could tell that I was going to be a little sore.

And then I hopped off of my bike and about fell on the floor. Whoa. Easy there.

It's been two days now. My quads are still reminding me that I haven't riden a bike like that since, well, probably never. Let's face it, riding to the post office and back or over to visit my friends just isn't the same as spinning. And my gel filled granny seat is much softer than the one on that spin bike...

But I had fun. It was a great workout. It was easy on my knees. I liked having control of my speed and resistance. So if you live somewhere that has spinning...try it out! I think you'll like it (after your legs stop hurting!)

1 comment:

Magen said...

I've heard that it is really fun...I used to see the spinning class on my way to teacher water aerobics in Smithfield...I always wanted to try it out.