Unless you are my neighbor, your bloom times will be a bit different - earlier if you live south of me (or lower in elevation), later if you dwell up north (or higher in elevation). But the plants will bloom in roughly the same order no matter where you live. If you have questions about a plant I mention, ask in the comments and I'll see if I can help.
I'm also going to mention the dominant weeds that I notice blooming each week. Sure, they aren't as much fun to talk about as the flowers you planted in your garden, but we all have to deal with them. Plus, if you notice them while they are blooming, you can make sure to pull them out before they produce more seeds!
What's Blooming in My Garden
- Crocus - These little beauties started blooming a couple of weeks ago and are almost finished. They are usually the first flowers to appear in my garden, followed closely by the early snow glories and violets.
- Early Snow Glories (Chionodoxa) and Squilla (At least I think that's what they are!) - I planted some of these on a whim and I really like them. They both have bright blue flowers. The snow glories face upward and are more of a flattened star shape, the squilla hang downward and look like little blue bells on a stem. Very dainty and cute. They both began blooming about a week and a half ago.
- Violets - Yes, the little purple ones that you often see growing in the lawns of older homes. They started a week and a half ago and are in full bloom now. I think they are beautiful and we are lucky enough to have purple, white, and pale lavender ones.
- Vinca minor - Also known as periwinkle, this semi-evergreen groundcover has purple star shaped blossoms. They are just starting to open, a couple of sunny days will bring out a lot more blossoms.
- Daffodils - Yipee! I absolutely love daffodils and was so glad to see the first two open yesturday. This morning there are a dozen blooming their hearts out despite the pouring rain.
Weeds to Watch For:
- Dandelions - I try to admire their lovely blossoms as I chop them out of my garden. The leaves are edible. If eatting weeds helps you take out your frustration, go for the small, young leaves. The older ones are bitter and nasty!
- Buttercup burr - Very short with small fine leaves and yellow flowers. These form spiny seeds that are almost as mean as puncture weeds. The seeds can pop a bike tire and do a number on flip flop or bare feet. Ouch! Kill them now before they make their seeds!
- Annual bluegrass - This annual grass comes up late winter and dies when the weather gets hot. It forms little clumps and spreads by seeds, not rhizomes. Not usually much of a problem unless it's in your flowerbeds. It's a nice dark green color and has smooth blades like lawn grass. It stays short (2-3") while the flower heads rise above (maybe 4-6" at most). My chickens love to eat it.
2 comments:
Lucky me, I am your neighbor! And so far your observations are spot-on for me too--my first daffodils opened up yesterday as well. Yay!!
I just love your blog! Mabey this will be the year that I actually make a graph of my yard and send it to you along with a list of plants I'd like to have. You can have a good chuckle as half of what I like probably won't grow here. I'm jealous of your daffodils. I miss mine. What sort of spot do currants like? I've thought about putting in some of those. I'd really like it if they like full sun until about 2pm then full shade for the rest of the day or shade until about 10am then sun until 4pm or so then shade again. Either of those would be great.
Post a Comment