Saturday, February 21, 2009

Seed Starting Part 4 - Germination

So you have your seeds planted and you are waiting for them to come up. This is the most critical period because if something goes wrong now you won't have any plants!

Germination varies from plant to plant, but here are a few basics to keep in mind.
  1. The most important factor is moisture. Once the seeds have been planted in the moist soil, they begin to absorb water. This causes them to swell and awakens the germination processes inside the seed. There is only enough stored energy in that seed for one germination attempt. If you let your seeds dry out after they have started to germinate, they will die. I use the vermiculite and cover the flats with plastic wrap or the clear dome to help prevent moisture loss.
  2. Next important would be temperature. All seeds have an optimum germination temperature. It's built in as a survival mechanism that prevents them from germinating outside when the weather is too cold for the plant to survive. Some seed packages will say the ideal temperature on the packet, but room temperature works well for most.
  3. Then we have light. Seeds that are surface sown or just barely covered need light to germinate, and usually come up quickly. Those buried a bit deeper do not. If you buried your seeds too deeply, or not deep enough, they might not come up.
  4. Stratification. Some seeds (like those for many shrubs) require stratification or moist chilling before they will germinate. If your seeds need this, it will say so on the label! A simple way to stratify is to plant the seeds as directed, then place the pots in a plastic bag, seal it up, and set it in the fridge for the number of days listed on the package. Check every few days to make sure they don't dry out or grow mold. When they have chilled long enough, place the pots in a warm spot and wait for germination.
Germination can be erratic. Be patient - some seeds take a long time to come up. And be surprised - some will be up in a day or two! As soon as they come up, remove them from under the plastic. Check every day! If you leave the seedlings under the plastic, they will get long and lanky. We want short and stocky. This is one reason I like the little pots better than the pony packs - I can move them around individually instead of as a group.

I like to keep a simple notebook with my seedlings. I jot down the variety planted, date planted, and when they germinated. I'll make notes about when I fertilized and record any problems I ran into. This helps me keep track of what's going on, what worked, what didn't, and prevents me from over or under fertilizing because I can't remember when I did it last. Take a minute to record what you did anytime you work with your plants, it will help you be more successful!

3 comments:

Magen said...

I think that germination is a lesson in patience for me...You sow the seeds and then you must wait to see if you did it right... I suppose it is good that I have a good lesson in patience at least once a year. (haha! haha!)

Julie said...

Good stuff-- how early are you starting some of your seeds? What are you starting now and what will you wait to start? (I am going to copy you:)

Camille said...

I haven't started anything yet, but I am planning to set up my plant stand today and take inventory of my supplies. Kathy and Annette planted some peat pots for Cowboy's b-day...they haven't come up, but we need a shelf for them to sit on!

I'll let you know when I plant something...parsley, leek, eggplant, pepper, tomato...these will probably be first. I'm waiting for my new seeds to come. And I still need to order a couple of things. I usually plant too early...feeling so sick has helped me not jump the gun this year!