The day I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I turned to my scriptures, searching for guidance in how to handle everything that was happening. I opened up to the Doctrine and Covenants, section 123. There, written so long ago, was exactly what I was seeking.
D&C 123:16-17
16. You know, Camille, that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves.
17. Therefore, dearly beloved Camille, cheerfully do all things that lie in your power; and then stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.
It doesn't say that the storm will cease and the winds won't blow - they will for each of us. But if I keep God at the helm of my ship, He will keep me workways with the wind so that I can move forward instead of sinking. If I keep my chin up and do everything that I can, He will make up the difference and take care the things I can't.
So many of you have shared encouraging words, hugs, jars of jam, offered to help, included us in your fasting and prayer, dropped off snacks or little gifts for our kids, and countless other kindnesses...thank you, thank you, thank you! We have felt an outpouring of love and peace. I am truly blessed to live in a place where people care so much about each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment